Saturday, November 17, 2007

Songs That Might Otherwise Pass You By

Southern Drama, "Sour is the Day"

This is one of many excellent songs offered on their Sonic Bids page (Sonic Bids has proven to be a wonderful resource). The electric violin and the piano are both subtle and well-suited accompaniments to the singer's rich, languid, drawling voice. While some of the other songs feature electrifying violin solos (which are absolutely glorious), it's good to have a few songs like this one where the vocals are in the forefront.

Sonic Site
Myspace


Knife fighting: Very southern and dramatic.

Hey Hey My My, "Merryland"

Through freak iPod placement, this song has been 2nd on my playlist for several weeks (three). I discovered in those three weeks that I really liked having this song 2nd on my playlist, and in fact even if my iPod didn't make the momentous decision to put it there, I probably would move it to that prestigious spot on my own. Number one has been Wayne Petti's "Moment by Moment" for about a month (I love that song) and I finally took Courtney Jones' "Ride" off after almost a month of it being in the top five (I'm using an iShuffle and it has a limited amount of space), but I miss it, so I may put it back on. But, I digress. Hey Hey My My's "Merryland" is a very memorable track, from the distinctively plucked guitar, to the drums keeping time in the background and to the coy, languishing vocals that could have a place in the Velvet Goldmine soundtrack (one of my favorite movie soundtracks).

Label Site (en Francais)
Myspace


Hey Hey, My My... look! Why are those people standing in a field? And why are those other people holding up knives and glasses of wine?

Holy F**k, "Lovely Allen" (Warning: The song downloads with the actual band name in the title, so if you don't want to see that word, you might want to change the name and the ID tag immediately).

This song has one of the most beautiful openings I've ever heard. Beautiful as in "Bittersweet Symphony" beautiful, but not as orchestral (though still plenty orchestral). It's loud, encompassing and aims to take music to the stars where it originates from. It's so equisite that I'm going to put it on my podcast, too.

Website
Myspace


Holy F**k! Where did we put the car? Why are we in a field?

PODCAST WILL BE UP BY TOMORROW NIGHT!!

No comments: