Saturday, May 02, 2009

Songs That Might Otherwise Pass You By

(I realize I only posted one song. It would technically be "song that might otherwise pass you by". Oh well. The world still rotates, despite my obvious grammatical trespass...)

Suckers, "Beach Queen"

I wouldn't expect to like a song by a band named "Suckers". I figured it would be some kind of scream-o, juvenile, whiny crap. Instead, I'm happily surprised. As a child of the 80's, I can't help but draw comparisons to the era, the age, of the New Wave. I know--if you've read my blog before, you've probably been witness to my rapturous descents into 80's glorification. Well, suck on it. I love that music. It's my life-raft when life gets sucky. And while, I'm sure the members of Suckers were probably only reflections in their mothers' glitter eyeshadow during my late, great early 80's, their music sure hearkens to it. I hear a strong overlay of Talk Talk in here (famous for the songs "Talk Talk" and "It's My Life"), with a little Haircut 100 and short bursts of "I Want Candy" (a song crafted out of grains of pure golden sand). For those whose exposure to 80's music doesn't travel much farther than Whitney Houston and Poison, please understand: I mean this as a compliment. The 80's songs that stand the test of time were perfect gems. They were whole pop-worlds unto themselves: well-crafted, self-contained and each with its own unique identity. With the glut of screamo, bland regurgitation gestating in the current musical crop, a song with personality, style and a little humor (keyboards are always kind of funny) is sure to catch my attention.

Label Site
Myspace


I think the one on the left is George Harrison...

No comments: