Thursday, November 25, 2010

Kitty!


She's so tiny that I made her litter box out of a blue plastic container. She'll rear up on her hind legs like a bear and then propel herself at me. She's so light that she doesn't even thwump when she lands. Her tiny little bite smarts a little.

Meet Virtue! She was a rescue. Seemingly abandoned, and starving from what I heard! She's not starving any more. -m0kkkwp. She typed that.

00t'g88888888 That too.

She *was* named after the cat in one of my favorite songs, "Plea From a Cat Named Virtue". Unfortunately, I found out last night that that song doesn't exist. I got the song from the band's website years ago. The song is still there (along with several other songs). Do me a favor. Mouse over the mp3 link. It's right here. What does that say? Uh huh. I thought so. I have to blame myself some, though. It's one of my favorite songs, and after all these years I never noticed that the cat's name is "Virtute", not "Virtue". The lyrics never mention the cat's name, and I guess the times I saw the name typed, my brain just glazed over the different name. It's a difference of one letter.

I considered renaming her Virtute, but it wouldn't feel natural. I'd never registered the word "virtute" until yesterday. However, I've been carrying around the idea in my head for five years that I would name my next cat Virtue. So it would be hollow to change it.

The song is from the perspective of a cat whose owner is depressed and just drinks beer and watches TV. I figure if that cat can help its owner snap out of a funk, then getting a tiny, rambunctious, precious little bundle of grey tabby fur might do the same for me.

I think I'm going to play with my cat Virtever some more.

Wiktionary says the two words mean the same. So suck on that, Latin!

Apparently there's a sequel to the song, "Virtute the Cat Explains Her Departure" in which Virtute leaves. It sounds very sad, and I may not make it through unscathed.

No comments: