Sunday, February 06, 2011

Cowboy Junkies

Junkies in defiant mode
You know all that Folk/Americana type music I like? One of the first bands I listened to that had that country flair was Cowboy Junkies. It was a new concept to me: a rock band with a country overlay. Like salty and sweet, it worked. Until that revelation, my country music interest began and ended with Loretta, Dolly and that song "Take This Job and Shove It". Cowboy Junkies opened me up to more facets of "country" music. It can be sincere without being maudlin. It can be sexy and not rednecky.

Cowboy Junkies have recently released and are releasing new albums. You can stream "Demons" on their website ("Flirted With You All My Life" is excellent) and if you sign up for their mailing list, you can get that song and a few others free.

Cowboy Junkies' page on NPR
Videos ("Sweet Jane" is one of my favorites)

Then soon after I discovered Mazzy Star, and the top blew open for me.

No comments: