Sunday, April 10, 2011

Ego Likeness

I don't post much about darkwave. It's not that I don't like it, but I kind of branched away from it when I was in my early twenties. My darkwave was Siouxsie and the Banshees, Bauhaus (Oh how I love Bauhaus), Ministry, My Life With The Thrill Kill (I've got instant action, sweet satisfaction) and The Swans.

My knowledge of darkwave began and ended there, much like a baby dinosaur when the meteor hit. My darkwave is forever etched with the names Jarboe, Murphy and Sexplosion.  Not a bad way to remember darkwave. Definitely ending on a high note.

Anyway, I went to a club last night (Shock! Horror!) and I liked a band. I liked a darkwave band whose members weren't ready to apply for AARP.

I don't like comparing bands because it's an inaccurate and lazy way to make connections, but it's also a human way to describe something. When I was watching the lead singer/writer Donna Lynch, I was really struck by how much she reminded me of Jarboe from The Swans. The band reminded me a lot of The Swans, and I loved The Swans.

The music, though dark, was emotionally earnest. Each note was pulled from her throat, gasping for life, gasping to let go of its misery. The music was a living thing, and her voice was an honest, willing conduit. She wrapped her voice around the music: She was the Pilot to the music's Moya (Farscape reference).

I felt transfixed, despite my hurting feet, drunk head and uncoordinated body.

Website
MP3s are available here
Twitter


Ego Likeness, "Aviary"


The Swans' cover of "Love will Tell Us Apart" (oh yeah - if Joy Division counts as darkwave, then that was another darkwave band I liked). The Swans also did a beautiful cover of Blind Faith's "Can't Find My Way Home".

No comments: