Saturday, August 05, 2006

Five Songs I'm Loving This Week

Little Ones, "Lovers Who Uncover"

I've been listening to this for a few weeks, actually. I always perk up a little when it comes on (a little--this is me, afterall). It reminds me of some of the other 60's inspired bands I like like The Aisler's Set and anything on Notlame (but shhh...don't call it "power pop" I hate that name--this isn't Britney or Beyonce we're talking about. It's better). As their website says, "they are the little ones".
The Little Ones, Sing Song cover





Ill Lit, "Satan's Doing Fine Without Me"

Heh heh. I just gotta love the name of that song. The name of the band is appropriate for me, too, considering I was a very ill-tempered English major (Why did I always wait until the last minute to write papers? Why do I always wait until the last minute to do my Five Songs post? Why do I ask these questions?) The song itself is surprisingly mild-mannered for conjuring the man in red. It's kinda alt-country, but what other genre sings so eloquently about sin than country? It's appropriate. What's not so appropriate is the name of their album. Tom Cruise? Why? Isn't he overexposed already? Maybe that's why they did it...or maybe they're going after that coveted country-lovin' Scientology demographic. I'm sure it's there, somewhere. I tried to find lyrics to figure out where ole' red horn comes in, but no luck. Their Myspace and their website.

Feist, "Fighting Away The Tears" (scroll down to #13)

I love Leslie Feist. Love her, love her, love her. She's one of the best female artists out there (though I guess Feist is considered a band--it's her and her partner Gonzalez). Listen to the song, though--It's so engaging! Is it as engaging as "Mushaboom"? I don't know. I don't think a song can truly be as engaging as that one--it wasn't a song so much as it was a being. That song was an individual. So is this song like that one? Well, no, of course not, silly. But it's still frikkin' awesome. She originally did this song with someone named Mocky (I wonder if that's a fake Rocky--like Tofurkey is fake turkey) but this version is her solo, live. It's a nice, swaying song. With all the authority of someone completely unversed in Latin music, I'll say it has a slight Latin feel to me. It's Bossa Nova-y (whatever that means). Her label site and her official site.




Leslie Feist, of Feist

The Stairs, "This Town Let Me Down Again" (Scroll down till you reach the album On Sleep Lab--about a third of the way down)

Okay, so it doesn't start out with the happiest lyric: "I hate it when you're alive"...like someone's only alive part of the time? Oh, damn, she's alive again. I hate it when she does that. Still, it's a nifty song. I mentioned them last week as having spawned another band I like, Hallelujah The Hills (whose song "Wave Backwards To Massachussetts" I posted last week) and being somehow related to another band I like, The Motel Candlewasters. All of these songs are on this one webpage. It's a shame The Stairs have broken up; I'm really impressed with this and the other songs I've heard. I feel foolish for never having heard them before, but I'm glad I've gotten to hear them now.


The Stairs

Retroactive:

Regia, "Something For Nothing"

I put this under "retroactive" because it is 4 years old. I had no idea it was an older song, though--all I knew was it had taken up permanent residence in my head and I wanted to succomb to the catchiness. I didn't first hear it until a few weeks ago when In House With Jeremy Peterson played it--I was so impressed that I searched and scoured the internet for it and finally, giving up, went to Musicmatch and paid 99 cents for it. I know--it's a travesty (contemplates the irony in trying to finding a song called "Something For Nothing" for nothing. Thinks of the meta-ness.) So, here it is, Ye Olde Yousendit link. It's only good for seven days, so please don't sue me. I'm poor. I tried to find more about the band, but according to Pitchfork, it's a one-off project, so I'm guessin' that's why mention of them is sparse on the internet. According to the article, the guy behind Regia, Louis Schefano, is also involved in another project, this one named Louis (after himself, perhaps?)


Regia, The Art Of Navigation cover

No comments: