Sunday, December 14, 2008

Songs That Might Otherwise Pass You By

Songs That Might Otherwise Pass You By

Blitzen Trapper, "Furr"

This is one of those songs that epitomizes the area from which it hails. While I've never been further west than New Mexico, and I've barely touched the world above the Mason-Dixon line, this song calls to mind my impressions of the snowy Northwest: Crisp, untethered, and maybe a little remote, though in the singer's case, the remoteness isn't just a matter of geography: He's wild, untamable. He's a "rattlesnake", and if you "get him, don't be afraid of what you learn". He confesses he doesn't understand the world of people, but rather feels comfortable in the world of animals. Even after trading his fur for skin again, he "still dream[s} of running careless through the snow". I'm not sure why he went back to the world of people. Listening to this song, and despite the cold, I'd prefer to be with the furred ones.

Website
Myspace
Lyrics


Well, I don't know...they all seem to be assimilated to human life...

Portico, "Sincerely"

Wow. I know a lot of people who have felt like this before, myself included. Not since Alanis and her Jagged Little Pill have I heard a singer portray feeling romantically betrayed so succinctly, and with such determination. The hair on my neck stood up. My muscles tensed. And then I said "Yeah. You do it! Make him pay!" and then I degenerated into blindly goading her along. I think I might have foamed at the mouth a little. When she says "I'm going to leave you crying, but with so much style, you'll be forced to resent all the cruel things you said", I felt like she expressed something I've thought before. She took an incoherent feeling and cohered it. Most people reading this have been in the position where you just want someone to pay. You want them to feel the pain they put on you. Ain't nothin' wrong with a pure revenge song; afterall, it's a valid emotion. Maybe not always the clearest or purest, but it's very real. The best way to work through it is to write a song that cuts to the core of it. Then if you still feel vengeful afterward, that's when you go to Plan B.

Website
Myspace


Portico are getting their feet wet (literally)


School of Seven Bells, "Iamundernodisguise"

Sigh...this song does not hide under guises. It is blatant, blazing, forceful and absolutely hypnotizing. In fact, I'm quite sure it would set any disguise it tried to wear on fire. The
music is driving, intense. The singers' beautiful voices blend and intertwine, climbing the scales like they're pulling an imaginary vine. Their voices are a Rorschach pattern in audio--seemingly hallucinogenic, but surprisingly of-this-world.

Label Site
Myspace


No, you are not looking at a double image. These are twin sisters Alejandra and Claudia Deheza and ex-Secret Machines guitarist Benjamin Curtis.

No comments: