Sunday, April 19, 2009

Songs That Might Otherwise Pass You By

Songs That Might Otherwise Pass You By

Gladshot, "He Was Gone"

Starts out quietly...stealthily. You might think it's a modern lounge song: good for smoky background music, but nothing you want to rush out to iTunes for. Keep listening, though, 'cause this song kicks into some major gear around the one minute mark. Her voice suddenly becomes a singer's dream: soaring, clear and strong. She has the kind of magnetism that calibrates the listener's feelings to her own. By the time the song's over, I've joined the call, too. I'm wandering down imagined London streets, calling out in the fog for a lost love. The only difference with me, of course, is that I don't have her voice, and there's a chance I might be asleep and still in my pajamas. The contrast of the earlier, slower part of the song really highlights her glorious, impassioned voice and the energy of the music playing.

Website
Myspace


If you've seen this video, then you might understand why I started singing "She uses tangerines..." when I saw this picture.

No comments: