Monday, January 17, 2005

I'm trying so hard to work on this blog. I know it looks like crap now (From what I hear it's so bright it can be seen from the Hyugens probe. Meanwhile, in keeping with the mission of the blog, here are some songs I'm currently loving:

Now It's Overhead "Blackout Curtain". Such a cool song! The mp3 is available on
insound, just search for the band by name. The song's a few
years old, but what can I say? I just heard them for the first time a few months ago. Even I'm not perfect.

PG Six "
Old Man On The Mountain" Dark, haunting and slightly folky (in a good Simon & Garfunkel kind of way.)


The National "
Wasps Nest" Cool song. Scroll down to the 12/3 listings.

"
DeVotchka" I listened to the whole radio show and I was just knocked over. I couldn't believe such an amazing mix of music could exist, in one thirty minute set, from one set of musicians. It's incredible.

"
I Can't Even Open My Eyes" by I don't mind The Air. I found this band through livejournal. I don't believe they're signed, but they should be. Perhaps through exposure on my livejournal? (Laughter roars through the web...provided someone actually read that) Anyways, the music's really cool and Mike, the lead everything, actually posts to my livejournal, so that's enough of an endorsement for me.


"
Promise the World" by The Spaceshots. I don't like all the songs I've heard by this band, mainly because they're too pop-punk. However, this song rocks like no other pop-punk song.

"
Untitled" by The Standard. Scroll down for an mp3 of the song. I don't know anything about this band (other than the lead singer, though male, sounds uncannily like Johnette Napolitino from Concrete Blonde) but this song is a very nice, easy-going song that rides along on it's own wave. It burrowed into my sub-conscious during my long busrides home and now it's permanently a part of me.

Retroactively, there's "
Arcadia, "Missing." Pretty Pretty song! After 20 years (Oh my God. I'm so old.) This is still one of my favorite albums, and will stand the test of time with me. The whole album is beautiful, but "Missing" is one of the songs that still make me sit down and listen, no matter what I'm doing.

Bellglide, "
Addiction." Very nice female vocals. Very emotional. I'm
trying to find an mp3, but so far I can't. When the website pops up, this is the first song that comes on.

Tegan and Sara, "
Walking With a Ghost." They're twins! They
rock! They're from Canada! from So Jealous. Go to the audio section of the site for the download. It takes a minute before you can click on audio.

A Man Called Sun, "
The Traveller." Okay, just try
to get over the fact that at the beginning the singer sounds like the Oasis guy while he's throwing up. I like the
music alot.

Damien Jurado, "
Paperwings" From
the album I Break Chairs. This guy has made some of my favorite songs. The song's about two years old, but the guy label hops so much it's hard to keep up! Hopefully he'll stick with subpop for awhile.


Asteroid #4 "
Honeyspot." Cool little alt-country song.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice, it's all color-coordinated now ;)

-nick

Unknown said...

Thank you! Yeah, I'm still tweaking it alittle bit. I'm not happy with the red/orange thing, 'cause it's really too bright. I just have to figure out what colors I want.