Sunday, August 28, 2005

Five Songs I'm Loving This Week

Two of the songs this week are from the same record label,
Anyway Records. The first song is by The Whiles; it's called "Lonesome Reply", and it can be found here. I have a soft spot for songs that are sad, and make me want to hole up in a dark, one-room bar and drink myself silly until either the tears come or the passing out begins. While this song may be a bit more gentile than the usual gin-joint songs I'm referring to (I'm talking to you, Haynes Boys), I definitely sense a melancholy here. That, of course, makes it near perfect to me.

The second song I'd like to point out is by Orchestraville, and it's on the same page. Both songs listed for this band are excellent, but I've been attached to "Phil Ochs' Flag" lately. It's not a sad song (to me, anyway) but it does oddly make me want to get drunk and sing. That's another indication of a good song. I don't know what the title means, but knowing a song's meaning isn't required for me to like it. Sometimes it's better that way, actually.


I already know the next song isn't new because it's on Epitonic's site. If anyone knows why epitonic hasn't updated in a few years, I'd like to know--they had some of the best music. This song is called "Driving Over To Your House", and the band is Lenola. I just love the guitar on this. The vocals aren't my favorite part of the song, but the guitar is crisp. I actually would like to hear an instrumental version of this song.


Luckily none of the Epitonic songs have been taken down, because I'm definitely in a theme tonight. This is a lovely song called "Vivian Girls" and it's by Mazarin. They remind me of Red House Painters/Sun Kil Moon. Very slow, but bright. According to the bio, some members of Lenola played on this album, so how's that for coincidence?

For my retro-active link I decided to upload my favorite U2 song. U2 were my favorite band throughout high school, and though I've listened to hundreds of bands since then and counted dozens as favorites, they're still my favorite "band." This is one of my favorite songs, and it makes me sad, but it doesn't make me want to crawl up in a gin-joint. It makes me want to lie on top of a car in New Mexico and look at a sky that is absolutely filled with stars. It's called "One Tree Hill."

Thankfully the song has nothing to with that show on the WB, although I'm sure the song played some influence in their choice of name. I thought of this song because I came across a website called Run To The Ocean. The girl who runs it is a fan, I can tell, because she's got some wonderful drawings of Bono (wonderful drawings in general) and icons for them. This is the best U2 album, by the way. I owned every one of their albums until they lost me around that Pop Art nonsense. This is an album that all humans should own, and that's a fact..


As a bonus, I'm including a link to this band's website. They're called Malory, and they're making very beautiful ambient music. I wanted to link to the song "Lake of Doubts" under the Outerbeats album, but it's not a full version of the mp3. I feel kinda silly linking to snippets. So, since they have so many snippets available, I figured I'd just link to the whole page.

I'm not going to be able to update next week because I'm going to be at Dragon*Con!!! Yay!!! Scifi! Filking! Emerald Rose!

Excitement! Hopefully no hurricanes (knocks on cheap wood.) So I'll update in two weeks. Hope everyone has a good two weeks :)

No comments: