Saturday, April 22, 2006

Five Songs I'm Loving This Week

It's 5:57 p.m. on a Saturday. I am trying desperately to wake up. I was trying to wake up before I went to sleep this afternoon. Now I'm just tired and groggy. I'm also making tea, the good kind--it tastes much better than the Wikipedia entry would lead you to think. I'm doing laundry (there is no good kind of laundry). I'm lamenting the fact that I need to eat vegetables for dinner (to balance out the utter unhealthiness of my lunch) and wondering if I'm too sleepy to be trusted in the kitchen.

I'm also working on my music post (obviously). I am not ever, ever ever going to attempt to post as many songs as I did last week. It was an experiment and one which needs no duplication to verify the difficulty of. It was a logistical nightmare. I was fixing broken links for hours! If I ever get to the point where I'm hosting all of my mp3s, something like that might be more manageable. For now, I'll stick with my usual 5-7.

The first song will wake me up. It's by a band I fell in love with a few years ago when their debut Logic Will Break Your Heart was released. How could I not love that

album title? And they had a song (one of my favorites) called "Lola, Stars and Stripes". I loved the album so much I went out and bought the cd (Okay, well Amazon

did all of the leg work, but damnit! I had to pick it up from the post office!).

So of course I'm really excited for their new album to come out. Without Feathers is not coming out until May, but one song is available, and it's freakin' awesome. It's called "In The Beginning", and it's available here, and also on their Myspace.

The next song also gets the distinction of being the song title of the month (at least until another one catches my interest): The Late Cord, "My Most Meaningful Relationships Are With Dead People". It's dire, mournful, gothic cowboy music. One of my favorite genres. (I love the description of the town the band's from: "God, cows, and crude". Yes, this is America, folks. Where no matter what drug/drink you do, eventually you will wake up in a cow pasture--it's happened to me.) Mp3 also available on their website.


The Late Cord

The All Mighty Whispers really like Saturday. I can't say I disagree. Since I started working full-time frikkin' forever and ago, I've become quite fond of Saturday. It's really the only day I acknowledge. On Sunday they apparently take to their bed, which is a fine way to spend a Sunday. Anyway, I really like this song, even without my strong identification with the lyrics. It's called "Thinking Saturday With A Whisper". There's not a lot online about them, but who knows--maybe I'll start a revolution with this post. I know--funny. (Their website)

As an aside, you know how when you overcook vegetables they get all limp and stuck together? Yeah, that happened.

I've developed a major fondness for the next song. It's called "Stay" (click on the link then right-click and hit "save as") and it's by Marykate O'Neil (yes, I keep thinking Olsen also, but thank every God and Goddess it's not). It's poppy, but not annoyingly poppy. There's purpose to its poppiness. The name of the album is funny--it's 1-800-Bankrupt. Hopefully I'll never have cause to find out if that's a real number.

Marykate O'Neil, from her website

The last song isn't poppy, but I learned to divest my musical tastes long ago, so I listened to them. The song's called (take a breath) "Seventy-Four Seventy-Five and it's by Shearwater. It's got a beatiful horn part (don't ask me what kind of horn. I wish I knew) and some nice piano. There's something almost sad and gothic about parts of it. Gothic done 70's style. I can't understand the lyrics at all, so if anyone can contribute any insight into what the heck he's talking about, that'd be great.

Extra: The Flaming Lips, "Do You Realize" (Postal Service Mix)...Just

because it exists...

Because I love Madonna and sometimes hip-hop is the only thing that'll cheer me, here's a remix of "Hung-Up" by someone/someones named Diplo. This is for my livejournal friend Jen, who's seeing Madonna live.

It's 8:42. I'm almost done with the post. Now I have to upload it to all three blogs. I'm using an uploading program called w.bloggar, but so far I can only get it to post to livejournal. It's a nifty editor, though, so I like it for that alone.

I don't think I've said this before, but thank you to the musicians whose songs I post and the blog proprietors whose mp3s I poach :)

No comments: