Monday, June 26, 2006

This is another in Lola's long line of "didn't get enough sleep last night" posts. The posts are shorter and scamblier, but they're often more biting and get to the point more quickly.

Maritime, "I Used To Be a Singer"

This is a sad song. It's all about used-to-bes. Used to bes bother me. I don't want to be used-to-be anything (except maybe used-to-be single, used-to-be insomniac, etc.) Anyways, he's singing about how he used to be a singer, which is weird 'cause he's singing. Despite the slightly depressing lyrics, though, it's a very good song. Actually all the songs I've heard from them are very good. (Click on "download" to get to the right page.)

Flook, "The Tortoise and the Hare"

It's Celtic! It's all flutey and whistley!. I like it! (Scroll way, way down for the song) Also, this is the second song I've posted in the last month to have "tortoise" in the title. Weird? A coincidence? Divinity? Here's an article on Flook, from their site.


Flook

Laura Viers, "Fire Snakes"

The songs I've heard of Laura Viers' remind me a lot of Mindy Smith's music-- they both have a really organic, earthy sound. "Fire Snakes" manages to be moody, dark and slightly folky all at the same time. I like my folk music dark and spooky, so this works very well for me. Here's her website.


Laura Viers

The Bother, "Not a Day"

Scroll way down for this song. Ooh, I had no idea this was posted a year an a half ago. Oops--well, it's new to me and you. This is another dark, moody, slightly folky song. I certainly do take to these kind of songs. I guess I'm a dark, moody, slightly folky girl. Anyway, the guy's voice could be, uh, a little more steady and a little less warbling. That's one flaw, and though it's highly noticeable, what's left is a very distinguished piece of music employing a very engaging undercurrent of violin and a low-key, Red House Painters-like guitar.

The Capstan Shafts, "She Paints With Both Hands"

As far as I can tell, most of this guy's songs are short, so I think this song really us just 55 seconds long. (Scroll way down for the song). It's very difficult to find information on this band (which is really just one guy, Dean Wells). I've googled, all-music-guided, amazoned and I'm coming up fairly empty. I know they have a few albums and have been on a few labels and they seem like a pretty cool band. Their website is under construction. Here they are on Last.FM I can tell you this: He's looking for a girl with an ambidextrous ability (not me, unfortunately). Also I can tell you I'm quite fond of this song.


The Capstan Shafts cover for The Sleeved and Grandaughters of the Blacklist

Okay, that's all for me tonight. I have to go to bed early. I have to. I simply have to.

No comments: