Sunday, November 02, 2008

Songs That Might Otherwise Pass You By

Kitty update: Well, it's looking like this will be the week that we let her go. She stopped eating two days ago and she's having trouble walking because the nerve endings in the back half of her body are deadened. The vet insinuated, but didn't come out and say that the next logical phase would be her losing control of her faculties. I don't want it to get to that point so I plan to take her in sometime this week.

I hope y'all have been able to bear with me. I know my writing's been a little terser and shorter since I've been going through this. I'm exhausted from working and taking care of her. I probably won't be back to myself for a while. Please continue to bear with me.

*Podcast show notes are in the post before this one*

Frightened Rabbit, "Old, Old Fashioned (live)"

This is one of my favorite new bands, evidenced by the fact that I've featured them several times now. There's just something so complete about their sound. It reminds me of how I felt when I first heard R.E.M (the early years) or The Dave Matthews Band. It feels so perfect--like it came down from on high already crafted. It's "old-fashioned". Instruments so in synch that they couldn't be taken apart even if you tried. A vibe that makes your dang soul sing. It'll tear down your inhibitions so you end up saying things like "makes your dang soul sing".

Website
Myspace
(From their new release Liver! Lung! FR!)


Organs...now that's dang old-fashioned


Callers, "Tied About"

A haunting, spanish-style guitar snakes through this slow-burner. This isn't what burns you, though. This isn't what stings your heart. What does is her voice. It sears the tops of the notes and wrestles with the gutter. The sadness I hear in her voice seems to crack the air around her. The supporting voice attempts to wrap around her singed vocals, perhaps trying to blunt the edge, but no amount of cushion can muffle this pain. All you can do is feel the visceral experience of her heartbreak, her boredom and her loneliness. All you can do is try to pick out the ragged pieces of glass already sticking into you.

Website
Myspace
Buy at Rhapsody


She sounds sad in her song, but she seems quite happy here. I would be happy, too, if I were standing next to such a super-fly car. In green, no less!

Mr. No, "Election" (Streaming only, unfortunately. Scroll down on the page and click "play").

I couldn't resist a song called "Election". It's a nice post-post punk ditty--a little emo, but not obnoxiously so. It has a lot of energy behind it, but it's not overtly screechy like most of the emo music out there. Unlike a lot of the emo crap out there, it's also got its own personality. It doesn't sound like every other emo/neo-punk song out there. Speaking of voting, though...if you're a U.S. citizen, I hope you have voted or will have voted by Tuesday. I know a few people who aren't voting, and I don't get that. How will you ever be part of the discussion if you don't show up to the forum?

Website
Myspace
Lots more songs to download from this artist


This is exactly the type of picture I expect to see from a post-post-punk band :)

No comments: