Sunday, February 03, 2008

Songs That Might Otherwise Pass You By


Kate Tucker and the Sons of Sweden, "In the End"

Slide Guitar + Tremulous Female Voice + Heartbreaking Subject Matter = Lola crying like Britney Spears when her BFF told her he didn't like her BF. Well, I'd like to think there's more substance to this song than anything Britney's ever done. Also, I don't have a baby Yorkie. I do have enough heartbreak stored up to fuel many crying sessions, and this is the type of song to bring it out: emotion-laden, but not in the least bit melodramatic. Dramatic, yes, but not unnecessarily so.

Website
Myspace


Kate Tucker & The Sons of Sweden ask the photographer if this is what he/she means by "framing" the photo.

Maritime, "Guns of Navarrone"

There is such a great energy to this song; if you weren't paying attention to the words, you would have no idea that the lyrics make the song darker than it sounds. The singer starts out with "You are going to have to lie to me. I've been breathing in since I don't when, I didn't know anything" and from there the uncertainty seems to stack up on itself. He sings "sticks and stones may break [his] skin and bones", letting some of the fear creep into his voice. As dark as the lyrics are, until that point his vocals had displayed a confidence that was strangely (and interestingly) at odds with the message. The music even seems to tighten, to narrow a little later on in the song when the tone of the vocals start to leak out a hint of bitterness. A little cattiness seems to enter into the singer's voice when he sings "You can win instantly, all that time on your hands so carelessly." It's the perfect progression for a song that seems to adapt itself to the subject's evolving mind-set.

Website
Myspace


They're called Maritime, but I don't see any water. Well, unless they're at a club like the local clubs here where the bathrooms do occasionally overflow...

King of Prussia, "Misadventures of the Campaign Kids"

What is it that I love so much about this song? The Beatles-esque marching pace? Yep, that's part of it. The way it slides from a stern, staccato verse to a fluid, melodious chorus? Oh, that's definitely a large part of it. I think what struck me the most (at least initially) was the fact that there's a line that says TONY DANZA IS ON THE RUN!!! How frikkin' awesome is that? Now I want to know what Alyssa Milano, Judith Light (and especially) Katherine Helmond are doing. Are they on the run, also? It would be totally awesome if they gathered some of my other 80's favorites like Jason Bateman (I love you, Jason Bateman) and Rick(y) Shroeder and started a bank-robbing gang. That'd be an awesome show. I know--Jason Bateman's busy doing even more awesome stuff. I think I'd probably lose interest in the bank-robbing gang if Jason Bateman's not involved. So, if he's not available, maybe we'd better forget it. We'll let Tony Danza run off into the sunset, doing whatever it is that Tony Danza does.

Myspace
Label Site

Save the Scene
King

of Prussia



from "Save the Scene"


Buy at

eMusic


More On This Album


No comments: